Aged Care Qualification Product Development
During the consultation conducted by the Aged Care Workforce Taskforce, feedback was received that the current Certificate III in Individual Support (Ageing) was not adequately meeting the skills needs of workers and employers in the aged care sector.
The Aged Services IRC was formed and tasked with developing a stand-alone and specialised qualification for entry level workers in the aged care sector.
- This qualification reflects the role of workers in the community and/or residential setting who follow an individualised plan to provide person-centred support to people who may require support due to ageing.
- Work involves using discretion and judgement in relation to individual support as well as taking responsibility for own outputs.
- Workers have a range of factual, technical and procedural knowledge, as well as some theoretical knowledge of the concepts and practices required to provide person-centred support.
- To achieve this qualification, the candidate must have completed at least 120 hours of work as detailed in the Assessment Requirements of the units of competency.
- No occupational licensing, certification or specific legislative requirements apply to this qualification at the time of publication.
The proposed Certificate III in Ageing Support qualification
13 units must be completed:
- 10 core units
- 3 elective units from the electives listed below.
The selection of electives must be guided by the job outcome sought, local industry requirements and the complexity of skills appropriate to the AQF level of this qualification.
CHCAGE001 Facilitate the empowerment of older people
CHCAGE005 Provide support to people living with dementia
CHCCCS011 Meet personal support needs
CHCCCS015 Provide individualised support
CHCCCS023 Support independence and well being
CHCCOM005 Communicate and work in health or community services
CHCDIV001 Work with diverse people
CHCLEG001 Work legally and ethically
HLTAAP001 Recognise healthy body systems
HLTWHS002 Follow safe work practices for direct client care
CHCDIS002 Follow established person-centred behaviour supports
CHCDIS003 Support community participation and social inclusion
CHCCCS025 Support relationships with carers and families
CHCHCS001 Provide home and community support services
CHCAGE002 Implement falls prevention strategies
CHCCCS001 Address the needs of people with chronic disease
CHCCCS017 Provide loss and grief support
CHCDIS004 Communicate using augmentative and alternative communication strategies
CHCDIV002 Promote Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander cultural safety
CHCLAH003 Participate in planning, implementation and monitoring of individual leisure and health programs
CHCMHS001 Work with people with mental health issues
CHCPAL001 Deliver care services using a palliative approach
HLTHPS006 Assist clients with medication
HLTINF001 Comply with infection prevention and control policies and procedures